Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Correct, but not helpful....op/ed piece by Nicholas Kristof

Kristof Column

So....as anyone who has reached this post knows.....I strongly support stronger gun laws. I am also a gun owner (primarily for hunting) and search long and hard for common ground between responsible gun owners and gun law proponents. So...while I agree with Kristof's thesis, I don't see that this type of article does anything to find common ground. His point about the dangers of gun ownership by spouses who are proven to be violent to their partner is important...but making the point through a spurious (to me) comparison is not conducive to building support for universal background checks. It simply reminds folks of their fears...and probably doesn't get folks thinking about the desired result.

Comparison? Showing someone who's afraid of flying statistics about how much safer flying is than driving a car. The comparison doesn't lead to less fear of flying because the comparison often doesn't seem to matter....much like comparing domestic violence to terrorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment