Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Puzzles

Over the past several years I have become addicted to puzzle solving. As a math-guy, puzzles of all types have a natural appeal. The obviously mathy puzzles, such as Sudoku, Kenken, Set & others, are really just a beginning, though. What I'm really addicted to are world puzzles.

And there's no better time for such an addiction.

To begin with....this is the age of Will Shortz. I may be way out of my element here, but I do think that Will possibly qualifies as the Steve Jobs or Babe Ruth or George Lucas of puzzling. Will has so transformed the puzzling world over the past 40 years or so, through Games magazine, the New York Times, NPR and other outlets, that it bears little resemblance to the field prior to his arrival. Like the other icons I mentioned, he is creative, multi-talented and visionary. He has inspired many others to emulate his work and then carry it further. He continues to create long after his legacy is secure. And, he is amazingly entertaining.

But there's much more than just Will Shortz to feed my addiction. The Internet has made it possible for many great puzzle makers to ply their trade, and (I would hope) make a living doing so. Puzzle makers can self-publish as opposed to get their only distribution through the various newspapers and magazines. Puzzle hounds like me can find these puzzles more easily via the Internet. AND....the Internet's nearly infinite knowledge gives us all the ability to solve puzzles in an entirely new way.

And, yet....like a Ronco commercial....there's more. Activities such as escape rooms, Shinteki, the MIT Mystery Hunt, the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament, the National Puzzle League....have all made puzzle solving a social activity as well as mental challenge. (FYI: Will Shortz founded the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament.)

I close this post without offering up any more details about my puzzle addiction. Those details will come in later posts....as various puzzle types and various puzzle makers will get featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment